Recently, rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim. Here are some important revelations:
1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2) The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women whose clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around specifically to cut clothing.
3) They look for a woman on her cell phone, searching through her purse or doing other activities while walking because she is off-guard and can be easily overpowered.
4) Men are most likely to attack and rape in the early morning between 5:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
5) The Number One place women are abducted from or attacked is grocery store parking lots.
Number Two: office parking lots/garages.
Number Three: public restrooms.
6) These men are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.
7) Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 years sentence but rape using a weapon is 15-20 years.
8) If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming and, also, increases their likelihood of being caught.
9) These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas or other similar objects that can be used from a distance in their hands. Keys are NOT a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. The idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.
10) Several defense mechanisms mentioned are these: If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question or make small talk. “What time is it?” or “I can’t believe it’s so cold” or “Think we’re in for a bad winter?” Now, that you’ve seen their face and heard their voice and are more likely able to identify them in a line-up and could more certainly identify them, you lose your
appeal as a target.
11) If someone is coming toward you, hold your hands in front of you and yell “STOP!” or “STAY BACK!” Most rapists interviewed said they'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed she would fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target!
12) If you carry pepper spray, yelling “I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY” and holding it out will be a deterrent.
13) If someone grabs you, you can't beat them with strength but you can outsmart them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm (between the elbow and armpit) OR in the upper inner thigh VERY, VERY HARD.
(One woman in a self-defense class said she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands. The guy needed stitches.) Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it. It hurts!
14) After the initial hit, always GO for the GROIN. It’s extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but these rapists said what they want is a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble.
So, start causing trouble!
15) When a guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. It’s very painful!
16) Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings. Take someone with you, if you can. And if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it. Go with your instincts!!! You may feel a little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
OTHER TIPS:The elbow is the strongest point on your body.
If you are close enough, use it!
If a robber asks for your wallet or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM.
Toss it away from you. He’s more interested in your wallet or purse than you. Chances are that he will go to retrieve it. THEN RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back taillights and stick your arm out the hole and wave like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. This trick has saved lives.
Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook or making a list, etc.) DON’T DO THIS!
The predator will be watching you. This is his perfect opportunity to get in on the passenger’s side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go.
AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
If someone is in the car with a gun to your head, DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat, they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes, bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
TIPS ABOUT GETTING INTO YOUR CAR IN A PARKING LOT OR PARKING GARAGE:
A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger’s side floor, and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger’s door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle and the passenger’s side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall or work and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
MORE SAFETY TIPS:
ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, preferably in a zigzag pattern!
As women, you tend to always be sympathetic. It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane or a limp and often asked for help getting into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
KNOW THIS SAFETY POINT: A crying baby on your porch? Call the police! The police will tell you ”Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.” Serial killers have been known to use a recorded baby’s cry to coax a woman out of her home when she thinks someone dropped off a baby.
DO NOT open the door for a crying baby. The “Crying Baby” hoax was mentioned on the TV show America's Most Wanted when they profiled a serial killer in Louisiana.
Friday, October 30, 2015
Thursday, October 29, 2015
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
Um menino de 10 anos estava parado na frente de uma loja de sapatos olhando a vitrine e tremendo de frio. Uma senhora aproximou-se do menino e disse-lhe: “Meu pequeno o que você está olhando com tanto interesse nesta vitrine?”.
O menino então respondeu: “Estava pedindo a Deus que me desse um par de sapatos”. A senhora segurou a mão do menino e o levou para dentro da loja. Pediu ao funcionário que pegasse 6 pares de sapatos para o menino. Perguntou ao empregado se poderia também lhe emprestar uma bacia com água e uma toalha. O empregado trouxe-lhe rapidamente o que pediu.
A senhora levou o menino no fundo da loja, lavou os pés dele e secou-os com a toalha. Então o funcionário chegou com os sapatos, a senhora pôs-lhe um par deles no menino e os comprou. Juntou os outros pares e também os deu ao menino. Afagou o menino na cabeça e disse-lhe: "Não há dúvida que você se sente mais confortável agora.”
O menino a abraçou, e quando ela já se voltava para sair o menino com lágrimas nos olhos lhe perguntou: “A senhora é a esposa de Deus?"
Saturday, October 24, 2015
Monday, October 19, 2015
Sunday, October 18, 2015
Saturday, October 17, 2015
Friday, October 16, 2015
Thursday, October 15, 2015
4 eggs (whites separated from yolks), room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted/125g
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups milk lukewarm
powdered sugar for dusting cake
Preheat oven to 160˚
Grease and Line 20 x 20cm baking dish with parchment.
Separate eggs and add the egg whites to a mixer and beat egg whites stiff. Place egg whites in a bowl and set aside.
Beat the egg yolks & sugar until light. Add butter and vanilla. Beat for two mins. Add the flour and mix it in until fully incorporated.
Slowly start adding the milk and beat until everything is well mixed together. Add the egg whites, a third at a time and gently fold them in using a spatula, repeat until all egg whites are folded in. Pour batter into baking dish and bake for approx 60 minutes or until the top is lightly golden. Cool and dust heavily with powdered sugar.
Wednesday, October 14, 2015
The woman writing the letter to Ask Amy to take her side and give her some useful advice. As you will find out, Ask Amy had other ideas.
Monday, October 12, 2015
Saturday, October 10, 2015
Friday, October 9, 2015
1 kg (2 lbs) baby potatoes, washed and unpeeled
Salt and black pepper
4 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp tomato puree (not tomato paste!)
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp smoked paprika
Pinch of cayenne pepper or chilli powder
Splash of tabasco sauce (optional)
1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
Preheat oven to 230C (446F). Slice the potatoes thickly, about 1/2 inch. Alternatively, cut them into 1 inch cubes. Arrange on a baking tray in a single layer, and brush some olive oil over them. Sprinkle with salt. Bake in oven for 25 minutes until golden and crisp, then turn the potatoes over and bake for another 15 minutes or until browned and crisp.
In the meantime, heat up 4 tbsp olive oil in a large pan and fry the garlic. Then mix in the tomato puree, vinegar, paprika and cayenne/chilli powder. Add salt, black pepper and tabasco to taste. Add the potatoes and toss to coat. Stir in the mayonnaise. Dish out and serve hot.
Wednesday, October 7, 2015
Tuesday, October 6, 2015
Monday, October 5, 2015
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Sunday, October 4, 2015
Saturday, October 3, 2015
You will need:
180g self-raising flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g caster sugar
50g soft light brown sugar
150ml sunflower/vegetable oil
150ml full-fat milk
1 tsp vanilla paste (or seeds from 1 vanilla pod)
400g dark chocolate
250ml double cream
50g chocolate spread (from a jar)
300ml double cream
1 tbp white chocolate hot chocolate powder (if you don't have this, replace it with a tsp of vanilla paste, or shavings of white chocolate)
1 tsp icing sugar
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180C or 160Fan, and grease & line three 8 inch baking tins.
2. For the cake, the recipe can't be easier. Throw all the ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined.
3. Pour the cake mixture evenly between the three baking tins and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake is soft, and bounces back when you push your finger gently into it.
4. To make the frosting, break the chocolate into small pieces and place into a microwaveable bowl. Add the double cream and the chocolate spread and microwave in 30 second bursts. After every 30 seconds, give the mixture a stir. Be careful not too overheat otherwise the chocolate will burn and split. Once the chocolate has melted into the cream mixture, mix well then place into the fridge for about half an hour to 45 minutes to set. It should be relatively thick, but still soft enough to lift with a palette knife with ease.
5. To make the filling, add the double cream, white chocolate powder and the icing sugar into a bowl and whisk until you get soft peaks. Don't be tempted to over whisk. Once the cake has been baked and cooled, place one layer onto your serving dish. Add half of the cream mixture and spread evenly. Place another cake layer, and then the rest of the cream on top. Place the final cake layer on top, then bring your chocolate frosting over. Using a palette knife, frost the top of the cake, followed by the sides, ensuring it is all covered. Be gentle, otherwise you'll get cake crumbs all over your frosting. To get the smooth sides, wet your palette knife with hot water, then run it smoothly across the sides. To get the wavy frosting on top, place some frosting on the back of a spoon and gently place on top of the cake, sliding the spoon away upwards.
THE SERENITY PRAYER
GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY
LIVING ONE DAY AT A TIME;