Sunday, December 20, 2015
Friday, December 18, 2015
Wednesday, December 9, 2015
Saturday, December 5, 2015
Friday, December 4, 2015
There once was a woman who had a pet snake that she loved very much. The snake was about 7 feet long and one day it just stopped eating. After several weeks of trying everything she could to get the snake to eat, the woman took it to the vet.
The woman explained the situation to the vet and he asked her, "Has your snake been sleeping with you at night or snuggling really close and stretching himself out?" The woman replied, "Yes he's been doing it everyday and it makes me so sad that I can't help him feel better."
The vet says "Ma'am your snake is not sick, he has been preparing to eat you. He's been sizing you up everyday so he knows how big he has to be, and not eating so he has enough room to digest you.
Moral of the story: You've gotta recognise the snakes out there. Just because they seem close to you and sleep in your bed, it doesn't mean their intentions are good. Even Judas gave the first kiss.
Saturday, November 28, 2015
Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Friday, November 6, 2015
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
10 - 12 russet potatoes, peeled
1 small onion or 4 shallots, peeled and sliced very thin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
4 - 6 fresh thyme sprigs
About 3 ounces pancetta, cubed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine the oil and melted butter in a small dish. Set aside.
Brush a round baking dish (around 9 - 10 inches) with a little of the butter and oil mixture.
Slice the potatoes as thin as possible crosswise. Arrange potatoes vertically in the baking dish. Wedge onion or shallot slices throughout potato slices - in about 3 or 4 sections of each potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper flakes (use some black pepper if not using red pepper flakes). Brush with the remaining butter and oil mixture.
Friday, October 30, 2015
Recently, rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim. Here are some important revelations:
1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2) The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women whose clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around specifically to cut clothing.
3) They look for a woman on her cell phone, searching through her purse or doing other activities while walking because she is off-guard and can be easily overpowered.
4) Men are most likely to attack and rape in the early morning between 5:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
5) The Number One place women are abducted from or attacked is grocery store parking lots.
Number Two: office parking lots/garages.
Number Three: public restrooms.
6) These men are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.
7) Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 years sentence but rape using a weapon is 15-20 years.
8) If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming and, also, increases their likelihood of being caught.
9) These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas or other similar objects that can be used from a distance in their hands. Keys are NOT a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. The idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.
10) Several defense mechanisms mentioned are these: If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question or make small talk. “What time is it?” or “I can’t believe it’s so cold” or “Think we’re in for a bad winter?” Now, that you’ve seen their face and heard their voice and are more likely able to identify them in a line-up and could more certainly identify them, you lose your
appeal as a target.
11) If someone is coming toward you, hold your hands in front of you and yell “STOP!” or “STAY BACK!” Most rapists interviewed said they'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed she would fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target!
12) If you carry pepper spray, yelling “I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY” and holding it out will be a deterrent.
13) If someone grabs you, you can't beat them with strength but you can outsmart them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm (between the elbow and armpit) OR in the upper inner thigh VERY, VERY HARD.
(One woman in a self-defense class said she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands. The guy needed stitches.) Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it. It hurts!
14) After the initial hit, always GO for the GROIN. It’s extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but these rapists said what they want is a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble.
So, start causing trouble!
15) When a guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. It’s very painful!
16) Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings. Take someone with you, if you can. And if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it. Go with your instincts!!! You may feel a little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
OTHER TIPS:The elbow is the strongest point on your body.
If you are close enough, use it!
If a robber asks for your wallet or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM.
Toss it away from you. He’s more interested in your wallet or purse than you. Chances are that he will go to retrieve it. THEN RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back taillights and stick your arm out the hole and wave like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. This trick has saved lives.
Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook or making a list, etc.) DON’T DO THIS!
The predator will be watching you. This is his perfect opportunity to get in on the passenger’s side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go.
AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
If someone is in the car with a gun to your head, DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat, they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes, bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
TIPS ABOUT GETTING INTO YOUR CAR IN A PARKING LOT OR PARKING GARAGE:
A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger’s side floor, and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger’s door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle and the passenger’s side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall or work and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
MORE SAFETY TIPS:
ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, preferably in a zigzag pattern!
As women, you tend to always be sympathetic. It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane or a limp and often asked for help getting into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
KNOW THIS SAFETY POINT: A crying baby on your porch? Call the police! The police will tell you ”Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.” Serial killers have been known to use a recorded baby’s cry to coax a woman out of her home when she thinks someone dropped off a baby.
DO NOT open the door for a crying baby. The “Crying Baby” hoax was mentioned on the TV show America's Most Wanted when they profiled a serial killer in Louisiana.
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
Saturday, October 24, 2015
Monday, October 19, 2015
Sunday, October 18, 2015
Wednesday, October 14, 2015
Friday, October 9, 2015
1 kg (2 lbs) baby potatoes, washed and unpeeled
Salt and black pepper
4 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp tomato puree (not tomato paste!)
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp smoked paprika
Pinch of cayenne pepper or chilli powder
Splash of tabasco sauce (optional)
1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
Preheat oven to 230C (446F). Slice the potatoes thickly, about 1/2 inch. Alternatively, cut them into 1 inch cubes. Arrange on a baking tray in a single layer, and brush some olive oil over them. Sprinkle with salt. Bake in oven for 25 minutes until golden and crisp, then turn the potatoes over and bake for another 15 minutes or until browned and crisp.
In the meantime, heat up 4 tbsp olive oil in a large pan and fry the garlic. Then mix in the tomato puree, vinegar, paprika and cayenne/chilli powder. Add salt, black pepper and tabasco to taste. Add the potatoes and toss to coat. Stir in the mayonnaise. Dish out and serve hot.
Wednesday, October 7, 2015
Monday, October 5, 2015
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Sunday, October 4, 2015
Wednesday, September 30, 2015
Monday, September 28, 2015
Sunday, September 27, 2015
Saturday, September 26, 2015
Wednesday, September 23, 2015
Sunday, September 20, 2015
Saturday, September 19, 2015
I didn’t know what to say to him at first, you can’t change someones personality just because you want them to change. I felt hopeless. Looking deep into his eyes I slowly answered “Here is the question, if you can answer and convince my heart, I will change my mind. Let’s say, I want a flower located on the face of a mountain cliff, and we both are sure that picking the flower will cause your death, will you do it for me?”
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Monday, September 14, 2015
Wednesday, September 2, 2015
Tuesday, September 1, 2015
Um Mestre do Oriente viu quando um escorpião estava se afogando e decidiu tirá-lo da água, mas quando o fez, o escorpião o picou.
Pela reacção de dor, o Mestre o soltou e o animal caiu de novo na água e
estava se afogando de novo.
O Mestre tentou tirá-lo novamente e novamente o animal o picou.
Alguém que estava observando se aproximou do Mestre e lhe disse:
— Desculpe-me, mas é teimoso!
Não entende que todas às vezes que tentar tirá-lo da água ele irá picá-lo?
O Mestre respondeu:
— A natureza do escorpião é picar, e isto não vai mudar a minha, que é ajudar.
Então, com a ajuda de uma folha o Mestre tirou o escorpião da água e salvou sua vida.
Não mude sua natureza se alguém lhe faz mal; apenas tome precauções.
Alguns perseguem a Felicidade, outros a criam.
Preocupe-se mais com sua Consciência do que com a sua reputação.
Porque sua Consciência é o que é, e sua reputação é o que os outros pensam de si.
E o que os outros pensam, não é problema nosso...
Monday, August 31, 2015
Sunday, August 30, 2015
A lesson we could all learn from.
How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?
THE SERENITY PRAYER
GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY
LIVING ONE DAY AT A TIME;